Skulltopus book – Part 2: Leathering

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

And here comes the leather. Since I´m super lazy and I don’t yet have the proper tools to make the super thin edges needed to do a proper bookcase with leather… AND I actually think it looks kinda cool like this, I only cover the exact shape of the covers with leather without actually going around it. Here is the back side: Before putting it into the press I placed a bit of cloth since the pressure kinda eliminates the texture of the leather. Once the glue dried, I made the holes for the pop rivets. There is the rivet before actually placing it. Rivets ready! They don’t actually help with the structural integrity but they look nice so watever… To finish it I added a couple of leather triangles to the corners of the front cover. Done! Ready for the next step, burning an image to the cover.

Skulltopus book – Part 1: The covers

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

had one extra text block laying around so I decided to make a book with the logo of this website and learn a couple new things on the process. First, I wanted to the cover to look like actual wood so I got some very thin plywood for that. The back was going to be covered with leather so I just used ugly MDF. Pro tip! cut your covers together. That way they are always exactly the same shape and you only cut once. Here I joined the plywood and MDF with a couple c-clamps before cutting. Done! covers ready witn one cut! Yes… in retrospect it´s quite obvious to cut several things together but im just starting my battle against my massive ignorance… Next come glue… Last week I saw a great tip on Tested.com where they spread glue using the side of a screw so I found this piece of cardboard wich allready had a perfect zig-zag on the edge for spreading glue. Covers done! and ready for part 2, covering with leather.

Drywall joint tape… maybe…

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

The other day I went to get some glue and duct tape and found this “drywall joint tape” which I thought Could be used for the back part of the text block instead of gauze, its stiky so its very conveniente for positioning it befote covering it with white glue. Here is the roll I bought: And here is the tape allready glued: I used three layers and it looks like it works…  only time will tell… (fingers crossed!)

Movable Tool-Rack!

JC PorceldiyLeave a Comment

I needed some decent tool rack to store my stuff but couldn’t find one so I built one. Handy movable tool/paint rack so I don’t have to move my lazy ass around every time i need a different tool.

Necronomicon (Evil Dead 2013) – Part 3, the wrong cover!

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

So… I initially was thinking on doing the actual movie cover of the book with the human skin and the staples… But, I couldn’t find a tutorial that showed a prop that looked realistic, and I had no experience with papeir mache o other technique that might produce something decent… so then I thought I might do the original necronomicon face… But again, no idea how to make it look decent… So fuck it, I knew resin casting.. and i like skulls, so whatever, I just got some actual leather and I sculpted a nice skull to put in the middle… the mold…   A little test of the mold with some leftover resin… And the final book: