For the cover of the book I used actual leather since I already make all my book with it and I had a lot at hand… This is my half-a-cow-hide, it’s called “Sally”. And here is the book on top of the leather to calculate the size of the leather I needed to cut: The leather already cut: Then I just used some strong white glue (if you have wood glue use that) After pasting the leather I cut the remaning part out. Yes, i know this is very far from the correct way to cover a book with leather, but 1) its very very fast and easy, and 2) I kinda like it… so there… I’m lazy… By the way, for the back part i just covered the leather in this fantastic kind of duct tape that’s made out of fabric. It looks like this, really have no idea whats its official name… And yes.. I know that the journal from Gravity Falls is red all around and has no black parts.. but I usually just make some changes on the original designs if I like them so this is one of those changes. To be continued!
As I did before I used warm water with coffee to make the paper look old. This time I added a bit of brown dye so I don’t need to add so much coffee. Put the pages and wrinkle them once inside the coffee, which will not only change the color of the paper but actually make it look like those ancient pirate maps.. If you the paper looks too old and wrinkly just do the wrinkling before submerging in the coffee. I used a large plastic sheet to let the pages dry… And here are all the pages drying: And here is the final result: To be continued!
The first part was to re-draw the inner pages. I mainly used the archive of pages at the Gravity Falls Wiki as reference. I decided to make my journal with all the pages available from Journal 1, 2 and 3 put together since that makes for a way larger tome. I took each screenshot, warped it in photoshop to make a flat page. Here are a couple examples. —— The Security Room Page —— Original screenshot: Warped and reshaped: Redrawn in hi res: —— The Percecepshroom Page —— Original screenshot: Warped and reshaped: And then re-drawn in hi-res, in cases like this, I had to invent a lot of the pages since there is a lot that’s never shown. Also, since I wasn’t going to make the whole invisible ink stuff I did a mix of the original text and the invisible ink text. —— The Summoning Page —— Original screenshot: Warped, reshaped and completed: And then re-drawn in hi-res: I’ll post links to all the pages I redrew on the download section.
It´s molding time! After a stupid month of inactivity I`m back so it´s time for some updates… I finally sculpted the bird on top of the skull so the center part was finally done. I decided to cut the plastic around the whole thing so it serves as the base that keeps it all together, also a little bit of paint and shilak for the wood. Now all is ready for moldmaking. First I made a couple containers out of lego (one of humanities best inventions): Then comes the unusual… I had many many problems with leaking molds in the past so I eventually started covering the inside of my molds with a very thin plastic wrap (the one used to cover food); that way I dont need to spend time thinking of sealing the container. here is a close up of the lego mold with the plastic wrap: And here are both molds ready for the silicone: Pouring complete The plastic wrap thing has been a fantastic improvement in my workflow. It saves a LOT of time in building sealed molds with hot glue, it saves a lot of materials for the mold walls and there is the best … Read More
The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 5 Today I just added the title to the cover. I was a slow day… I copied the title in photoshop and printed it backwards so I could press it from the back and pass some of the ink to the wood. Then I just filled in the letters with a pirograph. I was also trying diferent things to put instead ofthe gems on the circle… maybe copper nails? who knows…
Just cut the mdf and plywood for the cover/back. I also assembled the text block. Just placed the elements to see how it looks. Looks pretty good.
Wood and epoxy update!
Here is the simplistic paper model just to see what size should have each element: To start the sword I used a translucent plastic to cover my drawing and put the clay on top: I was going to use regular clay but I thought it might be better to use 2 part epoxy putty so I could get sharp edges for the blade. Here is putty places on top of my drawing: Here is a bit more shaped: Bladed is sanded to make it smooth The other details are added: All done with the extension tool of the dremel 4000. Its awesome! Next i did the circle that goes on the middle of the book. I made it out of wood since i thought i might be to much epoxy putty and regular clay was going to be too brittle For this i used the a router bit and the extension for the dremel: I thought of using styrofoam as a base for cutting the wood. Worked great! All the wood dust was trapped in the styrofoam very little was flying around. The circle: The finished circle with the sword: To be continued…