The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 5

JC Porceldiy, propLeave a Comment

The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 5 Today I just added the title to the cover. I was a slow day… I copied the title in photoshop and printed it backwards so I could press it from the back and pass some of the ink to the wood.   Then I just filled in the letters with a pirograph. I was also trying diferent things to put instead ofthe gems on the circle… maybe copper nails? who knows…

The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 2

JC Porceldiy, propLeave a Comment

Here is the simplistic paper model just to see what size should have each element: To start the sword I used a translucent plastic to cover my drawing and put the clay on top: I was going to use regular clay but I thought it might be better to use 2 part epoxy putty so I could get sharp edges for the blade. Here is putty places on top of my drawing: Here is a bit more shaped:   Bladed is sanded to make it smooth The other details are added: All done with the extension tool of the dremel 4000. Its awesome! Next i did the circle that goes on the middle of the book. I made it out of wood since i thought i might be to much epoxy putty and regular clay was going to be too brittle For this i used the a router bit and the extension for the dremel: I thought of using styrofoam as a base for cutting the wood. Worked great! All the wood dust was trapped in the styrofoam very little was flying around. The circle: The finished circle with the sword: To be continued…

The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 1

JC Porceldiy, propLeave a Comment

I friend of mine had his birthday several months ago so I told him I will build him any weird artifact he wanted as a present; so after some time he came up with an amazingly brilliant idea to build: The awesome Enchiridion from the double-awesome series Adventure Time. It has lots of different parts made of several materials that it’s a fantastic way to mix every possible skill; there’s drawing, sculpting, molding, woodwork, bookbinding, just fantastic. Also, this was a very simplistic 2d very cartoony design so there was also a lot of fun to be had interpreting all the elements as real life 3d objects. So here are some creepy versions I drew of the super cartoony designs from the cartoon. To be continued…

Making a punching cradle

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

After many hurt fingers I decided to build a punching cradle and avoid any more unnecessary fingerly bloodshed. Something like this… I found several very classy and beautiful models but I wanted something as simple as possible so here is it is. Couple planks cut in half. Joined two of the halves with the those magical “L” thingys I like so much. I drew the shape of the joined half on the side panels to know where to drill holes. I actually drill very thin holes before putting the screws; it helps the screws grip the material and they go in perfectly strait. Add pre-screw holes in the joined halves too. PRO TIP! Use pop rivets to keep the thing in place while putting the screws. All done.   Now it’s just a matter of placing the pages with a marker for the position of the holes… and punch the holes in just a few seconds And it doubles as a fabulous table for my your favorite drinks and condiments! WIN

Arcade cabinet, part 1 – scale model!

JC PorceldiyLeave a Comment

I guess this is not very lovecraftian related but, but watever. Turns out my boss bought an X-Arcade a long time ago and has never actually used it so we decided to make an cabinet for it and put it in the office so productivity can reach an all time low. I used my diningroom table to more or less calculate the correct height. I tweeked the height with some books. I used my diningroom table to more or less calculate the correct height. I tweeked the height with some books. So here is the small scale model of the computer screen and X-Arcade. Side panels placed And the model is more ore less done. Till next time!

FAIL – multi page dyeing with mosquito net

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

Let me tell you another story of failure… so you learn from my fuckups… So… I need to make several books and I do not enjoy dyeing all that paper one by one, thus I tried inventing some SUPER clever way to do all the pages at once… So… mosquito net… Cut it into page size pieces… Made a page-moquito/net sandwich… Secured it with elastic bands… And then came the FAIL… I put the whole thing into the usal coffe bath I normally use but the water didn’t even got to all the pages.. so you can see the white parts… suuuucks… Also, the pages that did got correctly dyed were so soked that got destroyed by the water… doble FAIL I think that instead of the normal very low water bath i used this process might work if the WHOLE block was completly submeged in coffe. Who knows… maybe someone is willing to prepare a whole tub of coffe… Back to single page dyeing for now… P.D. If you have some awesome technique of mass paper coloring, please let me know!

Skulltopus book – Part 4: a bit of color

JC Porcelbookbinding, diyLeave a Comment

Added some lacquer so when I paint the wood around the drawing the color tone go into the actual logo. After that I added some color to the wood using my favorite multipurpose ink: coffee! Also a bit of bitumen of judea for the burnt effect on the bottom. Some random thingy for the corners. Covered for spaying the lacquer. DONE