And thus, the Enchiridion is finally complete!, It took way more time that expected by I think it looks pretty decent. This prop will go to my friend for his birthday (wihch was like 7 months ago..) and I might do another copy for me… but that will have to wait, I’m tired and sleepy age so I shall go into a deathless sleep until next week… see you soon!x
Assembly time! First, the standar wood and leather for the covers. I should have used MDF alone since there wont be any visible part of the cover… A couple of actual copper details for the central piece: And then, a little bit of coffe to give it some color: In this case I used screws on top of the contact cement to attack the front part to the book: The screws came out on the other side so i just cut the tip with a dremel: Finally a bit of coffe to give the pages an old look from the outside:
Lets paint some resin! Here are the resin pieces just taken out from the silicone molds. As you can see, they are quite transparent. All of them: I applied a base coat of very dark mate gray and a coat of acrylic paint (metallic copper): Here is the process including the copper rust effect: Base coat of dark gray or black + copper A coat of green/blue acrylic paint mix Then remove the green/blue paint with a wet rag before it dries Finally, apply judea bitumen and then take if off with mineral spirits To be continued!
It´s molding time! After a stupid month of inactivity I`m back so it´s time for some updates… I finally sculpted the bird on top of the skull so the center part was finally done. I decided to cut the plastic around the whole thing so it serves as the base that keeps it all together, also a little bit of paint and shilak for the wood. Now all is ready for moldmaking. First I made a couple containers out of lego (one of humanities best inventions): Then comes the unusual… I had many many problems with leaking molds in the past so I eventually started covering the inside of my molds with a very thin plastic wrap (the one used to cover food); that way I dont need to spend time thinking of sealing the container. here is a close up of the lego mold with the plastic wrap: And here are both molds ready for the silicone: Pouring complete The plastic wrap thing has been a fantastic improvement in my workflow. It saves a LOT of time in building sealed molds with hot glue, it saves a lot of materials for the mold walls and there is the best … Read More
Just cut the mdf and plywood for the cover/back. I also assembled the text block. Just placed the elements to see how it looks. Looks pretty good.
After many hurt fingers I decided to build a punching cradle and avoid any more unnecessary fingerly bloodshed. Something like this… I found several very classy and beautiful models but I wanted something as simple as possible so here is it is. Couple planks cut in half. Joined two of the halves with the those magical “L” thingys I like so much. I drew the shape of the joined half on the side panels to know where to drill holes. I actually drill very thin holes before putting the screws; it helps the screws grip the material and they go in perfectly strait. Add pre-screw holes in the joined halves too. PRO TIP! Use pop rivets to keep the thing in place while putting the screws. All done. Now it’s just a matter of placing the pages with a marker for the position of the holes… and punch the holes in just a few seconds And it doubles as a fabulous table for my your favorite drinks and condiments! WIN
Today… some inspiration! Gather all the crazy occult and mysterious books that are out there and you’ll probably not find something that compares to reality, the mesmerizing reality of medieval illuminated manuscripts. I find these books endlessly fascinating, from the process of creating the pages, making the inks, painting the illustrations.. Anyone interested in book has to learn about these majestic works of art. Here is the ONLY place on the web where i could find the episodes of the BBC series The Beauty of Books: 1 – http://www.bilibili.com/video/av462427/index_1.html 2 – http://www.bilibili.com/video/av462427/index_2.html 3 – http://www.bilibili.com/video/av462427/index_3.html 4 – http://www.bilibili.com/video/av462427/index_4.html
These are not my tutorials, but are the ones I learned from and use constantly to make make my books: Coptic Stitch…
Let me tell you another story of failure… so you learn from my fuckups… So… I need to make several books and I do not enjoy dyeing all that paper one by one, thus I tried inventing some SUPER clever way to do all the pages at once… So… mosquito net… Cut it into page size pieces… Made a page-moquito/net sandwich… Secured it with elastic bands… And then came the FAIL… I put the whole thing into the usal coffe bath I normally use but the water didn’t even got to all the pages.. so you can see the white parts… suuuucks… Also, the pages that did got correctly dyed were so soked that got destroyed by the water… doble FAIL I think that instead of the normal very low water bath i used this process might work if the WHOLE block was completly submeged in coffe. Who knows… maybe someone is willing to prepare a whole tub of coffe… Back to single page dyeing for now… P.D. If you have some awesome technique of mass paper coloring, please let me know!
Added some lacquer so when I paint the wood around the drawing the color tone go into the actual logo. After that I added some color to the wood using my favorite multipurpose ink: coffee! Also a bit of bitumen of judea for the burnt effect on the bottom. Some random thingy for the corners. Covered for spaying the lacquer. DONE