After being happy with the design, I started cutting the parts of the cover. I printed the cover just to have the size perfect and used that as a stencil to mark where to cut. And here is ready to cut: And ready: I found this very cool material, its like a very hard foam.. almost like paper.. i have no idea what its called in english but its called “carton pluma“ (feather cardboard) in the stores near by me. I used it to make the corners: So here is the half done cover: Coming next: Modeling the dwarve!
Here is the first in a series of book I’m planing of doing along this year. I thought of making some books on classic fantasy and horror themes, so the first drawing i did was of a dwarf so I just went with it. Here is the first drawing: And here is the complete design just to have some reference when building the actual book: Next: cutting the cover!
A video with most parts of the process of my Gravity Falls Journal Bild.
To fix the hand to the cover I just went with screws. It is very strong, and I think it look cool and medieval. I made holes in the copper with this tool: Here is the hand with holes in the copper sheet ready, and the number “3″ painted with black nail polish: Here are the are the corner parts: If you want to know how I made and painted these, here is a post I made about the process in more detail. Its very important to make small holes before putting in the screws so that the wood, trupan or other material you are using wont split once the screws go in. This is the only pieces that i bought, some cool metal corners: Here is the cover with the hand and corner pieces all screwed in place: But since the book is actually red, I used cherry colored acrylic paint to give the leather a red-ish hue. Also a couple of gold painted straps for the side. And the book is almost done. To be continued!
For the cover of the book I used actual leather since I already make all my book with it and I had a lot at hand… This is my half-a-cow-hide, it’s called “Sally”. And here is the book on top of the leather to calculate the size of the leather I needed to cut: The leather already cut: Then I just used some strong white glue (if you have wood glue use that) After pasting the leather I cut the remaning part out. Yes, i know this is very far from the correct way to cover a book with leather, but 1) its very very fast and easy, and 2) I kinda like it… so there… I’m lazy… By the way, for the back part i just covered the leather in this fantastic kind of duct tape that’s made out of fabric. It looks like this, really have no idea whats its official name… And yes.. I know that the journal from Gravity Falls is red all around and has no black parts.. but I usually just make some changes on the original designs if I like them so this is one of those changes. To be continued!
So, since I wanted to bind this using 4-page signatures (like in this tutorial), I needed to print the page spreads in a very special page order … which I (of course) didn’t know how to do, thus, my first idea was to make mini signatures to know what was the page order supposed to be… So later I could arage my pages on inDesign in the same order: And then came knowledge and the horrid shadow of ignorance left and I learned that inDesign has a magical tool to make this whole thing automatically! So here is how my document looks liks in inDesign, just pages in regular order, nothing fancy: This awesome tool is over here: And here are the settings I used to print my document as 4-page-spread signatures: This is magical. To be continued!
And thus, the Enchiridion is finally complete!, It took way more time that expected by I think it looks pretty decent. This prop will go to my friend for his birthday (wihch was like 7 months ago..) and I might do another copy for me… but that will have to wait, I’m tired and sleepy age so I shall go into a deathless sleep until next week… see you soon!x
Assembly time! First, the standar wood and leather for the covers. I should have used MDF alone since there wont be any visible part of the cover… A couple of actual copper details for the central piece: And then, a little bit of coffe to give it some color: In this case I used screws on top of the contact cement to attack the front part to the book: The screws came out on the other side so i just cut the tip with a dremel: Finally a bit of coffe to give the pages an old look from the outside:
Lets paint some resin! Here are the resin pieces just taken out from the silicone molds. As you can see, they are quite transparent. All of them: I applied a base coat of very dark mate gray and a coat of acrylic paint (metallic copper): Here is the process including the copper rust effect: Base coat of dark gray or black + copper A coat of green/blue acrylic paint mix Then remove the green/blue paint with a wet rag before it dries Finally, apply judea bitumen and then take if off with mineral spirits To be continued!
It´s molding time! After a stupid month of inactivity I`m back so it´s time for some updates… I finally sculpted the bird on top of the skull so the center part was finally done. I decided to cut the plastic around the whole thing so it serves as the base that keeps it all together, also a little bit of paint and shilak for the wood. Now all is ready for moldmaking. First I made a couple containers out of lego (one of humanities best inventions): Then comes the unusual… I had many many problems with leaking molds in the past so I eventually started covering the inside of my molds with a very thin plastic wrap (the one used to cover food); that way I dont need to spend time thinking of sealing the container. here is a close up of the lego mold with the plastic wrap: And here are both molds ready for the silicone: Pouring complete The plastic wrap thing has been a fantastic improvement in my workflow. It saves a LOT of time in building sealed molds with hot glue, it saves a lot of materials for the mold walls and there is the best … Read More