So this is probably the first and more complicated book i made. I wanted to make a video for literally years but I never had the time (or will) up until now. I friend of mine asked me for a drawing book so I took the opportunity to get the process in video finally.
And thus, the Enchiridion is finally complete!, It took way more time that expected by I think it looks pretty decent. This prop will go to my friend for his birthday (wihch was like 7 months ago..) and I might do another copy for me… but that will have to wait, I’m tired and sleepy age so I shall go into a deathless sleep until next week… see you soon!x
Assembly time! First, the standar wood and leather for the covers. I should have used MDF alone since there wont be any visible part of the cover… A couple of actual copper details for the central piece: And then, a little bit of coffe to give it some color: In this case I used screws on top of the contact cement to attack the front part to the book: The screws came out on the other side so i just cut the tip with a dremel: Finally a bit of coffe to give the pages an old look from the outside:
Lets paint some resin! Here are the resin pieces just taken out from the silicone molds. As you can see, they are quite transparent. All of them: I applied a base coat of very dark mate gray and a coat of acrylic paint (metallic copper): Here is the process including the copper rust effect: Base coat of dark gray or black + copper A coat of green/blue acrylic paint mix Then remove the green/blue paint with a wet rag before it dries Finally, apply judea bitumen and then take if off with mineral spirits To be continued!
It´s molding time! After a stupid month of inactivity I`m back so it´s time for some updates… I finally sculpted the bird on top of the skull so the center part was finally done. I decided to cut the plastic around the whole thing so it serves as the base that keeps it all together, also a little bit of paint and shilak for the wood. Now all is ready for moldmaking. First I made a couple containers out of lego (one of humanities best inventions): Then comes the unusual… I had many many problems with leaking molds in the past so I eventually started covering the inside of my molds with a very thin plastic wrap (the one used to cover food); that way I dont need to spend time thinking of sealing the container. here is a close up of the lego mold with the plastic wrap: And here are both molds ready for the silicone: Pouring complete The plastic wrap thing has been a fantastic improvement in my workflow. It saves a LOT of time in building sealed molds with hot glue, it saves a lot of materials for the mold walls and there is the best … Read More
The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 5 Today I just added the title to the cover. I was a slow day… I copied the title in photoshop and printed it backwards so I could press it from the back and pass some of the ink to the wood. Then I just filled in the letters with a pirograph. I was also trying diferent things to put instead ofthe gems on the circle… maybe copper nails? who knows…
Just cut the mdf and plywood for the cover/back. I also assembled the text block. Just placed the elements to see how it looks. Looks pretty good.
Wood and epoxy update!
Here is the simplistic paper model just to see what size should have each element: To start the sword I used a translucent plastic to cover my drawing and put the clay on top: I was going to use regular clay but I thought it might be better to use 2 part epoxy putty so I could get sharp edges for the blade. Here is putty places on top of my drawing: Here is a bit more shaped: Bladed is sanded to make it smooth The other details are added: All done with the extension tool of the dremel 4000. Its awesome! Next i did the circle that goes on the middle of the book. I made it out of wood since i thought i might be to much epoxy putty and regular clay was going to be too brittle For this i used the a router bit and the extension for the dremel: I thought of using styrofoam as a base for cutting the wood. Worked great! All the wood dust was trapped in the styrofoam very little was flying around. The circle: The finished circle with the sword: To be continued…
I friend of mine had his birthday several months ago so I told him I will build him any weird artifact he wanted as a present; so after some time he came up with an amazingly brilliant idea to build: The awesome Enchiridion from the double-awesome series Adventure Time. It has lots of different parts made of several materials that it’s a fantastic way to mix every possible skill; there’s drawing, sculpting, molding, woodwork, bookbinding, just fantastic. Also, this was a very simplistic 2d very cartoony design so there was also a lot of fun to be had interpreting all the elements as real life 3d objects. So here are some creepy versions I drew of the super cartoony designs from the cartoon. To be continued…