Here are the extra pages I re-drew for my necronomicon prop. Enjoy! Download now!
So… I initially was thinking on doing the actual movie cover of the book with the human skin and the staples… But, I couldn’t find a tutorial that showed a prop that looked realistic, and I had no experience with papeir mache o other technique that might produce something decent… so then I thought I might do the original necronomicon face… But again, no idea how to make it look decent… So fuck it, I knew resin casting.. and i like skulls, so whatever, I just got some actual leather and I sculpted a nice skull to put in the middle… the mold… A little test of the mold with some leftover resin… And the final book:
Wasn’t really sure about what to put as end pages around the normal paper pages so I just grabbed some black construction paper and put it there. I bet there are better options… Placed it between couple pieces of wood so serve as a book press. C-claps to complete the home-made book press. I saw on some tutorial that the perfect binding needs some texture added to the pages in the back so the glue sticks better. I added some grooves so the blue has even better place to stick. Some twine and contact cement… And done In the end the grooves/twine were not such a good idea, the pages don’t quite open properly. So don’t do that. Live and learn… To finish the text block I took some random strips of fabric for the book marks.
To start with, I searched a couple hours around the internet to see if there was some pdf or something like that with the pages of the book from the movie but I couldn’t find it. There is probably some good scan or something but since I quite like drawing and needed some extra practice I just downloaded the movie and very patiently paused all over the film and took screenshots wherever the book is shown open so trace the drawings. Some looked ok and were easy to copy… Some not so much, there were too much closeups… Obviamente tuve que inventarme todas las partes de las ilustraciones que estaban fuera del la escena como la cabra aquí: Or burny zombie over here:x Did the same for all the pages with ilustrations (all done in photoshop): (You can download the page over HERE) (And the fonts over HERE)
And here is the finished statue. Casted in 2 part epoxy resin, which is very thick (if you have access to Smooth-on products please use that). Some cheap black spray paint as primer then acrylic metal paint. Used some bitumen of judea to make the metal paint look old and weathered. And finally some cheap blue and green acrylic paint for the faux rust effect.
This is the clay statue painted over a couple of times with some random spray paint for exteriors. I just added this paint coat so the clay would not stick to the silicone while making the mold. This is the mold I made from the painted clay statue. As always, if you have access to Smoth-on products please use that. I used some random silicone+catalyst mix, you put a 10 drops of catalyst per 100ml of liquid silicone. I covered the statue with a mix of mineral spirits and liquid silicone as a release agent before pouring the silicone. I totally overdid it… i put WAY to much of the mix so now there is quite a bit of flash when taking out the resin statues. So if your using a mix like that put just a little.