The first step was to print the illustration then cut some thin wood for the cover stick the illustration and copy it to the wood After the drawing was copied I traced it the a pyrograph Then a bit of wood stain so the outer part is darker and the middle illustration pops out Done! Next time… assembling the text block!
A friend asked me for a book design and said it needed to have “a tree and a lion“. After collecting a lot of pic of lions and trees i came up with this illustration I then added some extra elements to complete the cover and finally put some textures to see how it would look in the real world.. Next time… starting the build!
Added some lacquer so when I paint the wood around the drawing the color tone go into the actual logo. After that I added some color to the wood using my favorite multipurpose ink: coffee! Also a bit of bitumen of judea for the burnt effect on the bottom. Some random thingy for the corners. Covered for spaying the lacquer. DONE
I drew the logo with a pencil. Logo done! Go over the lines with the pirograph. Errase the pencil lines that were left. Add some shadows… Add some random crazy glyphs… and done! Ready for the next step, giving some color to the wood.
And here comes the leather. Since I´m super lazy and I don’t yet have the proper tools to make the super thin edges needed to do a proper bookcase with leather… AND I actually think it looks kinda cool like this, I only cover the exact shape of the covers with leather without actually going around it. Here is the back side: Before putting it into the press I placed a bit of cloth since the pressure kinda eliminates the texture of the leather. Once the glue dried, I made the holes for the pop rivets. There is the rivet before actually placing it. Rivets ready! They don’t actually help with the structural integrity but they look nice so watever… To finish it I added a couple of leather triangles to the corners of the front cover. Done! Ready for the next step, burning an image to the cover.
had one extra text block laying around so I decided to make a book with the logo of this website and learn a couple new things on the process. First, I wanted to the cover to look like actual wood so I got some very thin plywood for that. The back was going to be covered with leather so I just used ugly MDF. Pro tip! cut your covers together. That way they are always exactly the same shape and you only cut once. Here I joined the plywood and MDF with a couple c-clamps before cutting. Done! covers ready witn one cut! Yes… in retrospect it´s quite obvious to cut several things together but im just starting my battle against my massive ignorance… Next come glue… Last week I saw a great tip on Tested.com where they spread glue using the side of a screw so I found this piece of cardboard wich allready had a perfect zig-zag on the edge for spreading glue. Covers done! and ready for part 2, covering with leather.
The other day I went to get some glue and duct tape and found this “drywall joint tape” which I thought Could be used for the back part of the text block instead of gauze, its stiky so its very conveniente for positioning it befote covering it with white glue. Here is the roll I bought: And here is the tape allready glued: I used three layers and it looks like it works… only time will tell… (fingers crossed!)
This is a blog about my totally amateur attempts to recreate all kinds of eldritch things, props and replicas with absolutely no knowledge of how to do it properly.