After being happy with the design, I started cutting the parts of the cover. I printed the cover just to have the size perfect and used that as a stencil to mark where to cut. And here is ready to cut: And ready: I found this very cool material, its like a very hard foam.. almost like paper.. i have no idea what its called in english but its called “carton pluma“ (feather cardboard) in the stores near by me. I used it to make the corners: So here is the half done cover: Coming next: Modeling the dwarve!
Here is the first in a series of book I’m planing of doing along this year. I thought of making some books on classic fantasy and horror themes, so the first drawing i did was of a dwarf so I just went with it. Here is the first drawing: And here is the complete design just to have some reference when building the actual book: Next: cutting the cover!
Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home9/paranoia/elderprops.com/wp-content/themes/x/framework/legacy/functions/frontend/featured.php on line 160
I just did a very short tutorial on how I print my books to bind them but I know maybe not everybody has inDesign all ready and loaded up to organize all this stuff so I have added a convenient PDF download so you can go straight to printing and make the actual book instead of spending the next 5 hours organizing stupid pages. Enjoy! Download Gravity Falls Journal 3 ready-to-print PDF Here is the instructions on how to assemble the book: You can also go to the download page for Gravity Falls and scroll to the bottom of the page where you can also find the tiny image-tutorial I made on how to assemble the book.
For the cover of the book I used actual leather since I already make all my book with it and I had a lot at hand… This is my half-a-cow-hide, it’s called “Sally”. And here is the book on top of the leather to calculate the size of the leather I needed to cut: The leather already cut: Then I just used some strong white glue (if you have wood glue use that) After pasting the leather I cut the remaning part out. Yes, i know this is very far from the correct way to cover a book with leather, but 1) its very very fast and easy, and 2) I kinda like it… so there… I’m lazy… By the way, for the back part i just covered the leather in this fantastic kind of duct tape that’s made out of fabric. It looks like this, really have no idea whats its official name… And yes.. I know that the journal from Gravity Falls is red all around and has no black parts.. but I usually just make some changes on the original designs if I like them so this is one of those changes. To be continued!
To make the hand on the cover I first turned a screenshot of the book into the size of the paper I wanted to use (half-folio). Here is the printout on my pre-cut piece of trupan (already on the correct size of the final book) just for a final size check: Paper hand cut on top of a random crap of trupan: I sprayed the whole thing with whatever color I had near: And then I lifted the paper and had a perfect mark to cut out the trupan. Here is the trupan hand allready cut: And here is the sheet of copper that I used to make the metal cover of the trupan hand: Here is the coper hand ready to go on top of the trupan part: And finally, here is the trupan hand, covered with the copper sheet (u used ). To be continued!
For this part I just did a mix of Coptic stitch and other kinds into one that I find easy to do. (For info and tutorials about the actual stitching check this youtube channel, that should be all the styles and techniques you need ) First I joined the pages into 4 sheet signatures: Then I used my punching cradle to make holes for the thread. Here are the signatures with the holes ready: The comes a couple pieces of fabric to hold the thread: (For info and tutorials about the actual stitching check this youtube channel, that should be all the styles and techinques you need ) And finally, I put some hard begin and end to the text block (which I of course forgot at the beginning) The i used a bit of standard common gauze medical for the upper part: Text block ready! To be continued!
As I did before I used warm water with coffee to make the paper look old. This time I added a bit of brown dye so I don’t need to add so much coffee. Put the pages and wrinkle them once inside the coffee, which will not only change the color of the paper but actually make it look like those ancient pirate maps.. If you the paper looks too old and wrinkly just do the wrinkling before submerging in the coffee. I used a large plastic sheet to let the pages dry… And here are all the pages drying: And here is the final result: To be continued!
The first part was to re-draw the inner pages. I mainly used the archive of pages at the Gravity Falls Wiki as reference. I decided to make my journal with all the pages available from Journal 1, 2 and 3 put together since that makes for a way larger tome. I took each screenshot, warped it in photoshop to make a flat page. Here are a couple examples. —— The Security Room Page —— Original screenshot: Warped and reshaped: Redrawn in hi res: —— The Percecepshroom Page —— Original screenshot: Warped and reshaped: And then re-drawn in hi-res, in cases like this, I had to invent a lot of the pages since there is a lot that’s never shown. Also, since I wasn’t going to make the whole invisible ink stuff I did a mix of the original text and the invisible ink text. —— The Summoning Page —— Original screenshot: Warped, reshaped and completed: And then re-drawn in hi-res: I’ll post links to all the pages I redrew on the download section.
And thus, the Enchiridion is finally complete!, It took way more time that expected by I think it looks pretty decent. This prop will go to my friend for his birthday (wihch was like 7 months ago..) and I might do another copy for me… but that will have to wait, I’m tired and sleepy age so I shall go into a deathless sleep until next week… see you soon!