It´s molding time! After a stupid month of inactivity I`m back so it´s time for some updates… I finally sculpted the bird on top of the skull so the center part was finally done. I decided to cut the plastic around the whole thing so it serves as the base that keeps it all together, also a little bit of paint and shilak for the wood. Now all is ready for moldmaking. First I made a couple containers out of lego (one of humanities best inventions): Then comes the unusual… I had many many problems with leaking molds in the past so I eventually started covering the inside of my molds with a very thin plastic wrap (the one used to cover food); that way I dont need to spend time thinking of sealing the container. here is a close up of the lego mold with the plastic wrap: And here are both molds ready for the silicone: Pouring complete The plastic wrap thing has been a fantastic improvement in my workflow. It saves a LOT of time in building sealed molds with hot glue, it saves a lot of materials for the mold walls and there is the best … Read More
The Enchiridion from Adventure Time – part 5 Today I just added the title to the cover. I was a slow day… I copied the title in photoshop and printed it backwards so I could press it from the back and pass some of the ink to the wood. Then I just filled in the letters with a pirograph. I was also trying diferent things to put instead ofthe gems on the circle… maybe copper nails? who knows…
Just cut the mdf and plywood for the cover/back. I also assembled the text block. Just placed the elements to see how it looks. Looks pretty good.
Wood and epoxy update!
Here is the simplistic paper model just to see what size should have each element: To start the sword I used a translucent plastic to cover my drawing and put the clay on top: I was going to use regular clay but I thought it might be better to use 2 part epoxy putty so I could get sharp edges for the blade. Here is putty places on top of my drawing: Here is a bit more shaped: Bladed is sanded to make it smooth The other details are added: All done with the extension tool of the dremel 4000. Its awesome! Next i did the circle that goes on the middle of the book. I made it out of wood since i thought i might be to much epoxy putty and regular clay was going to be too brittle For this i used the a router bit and the extension for the dremel: I thought of using styrofoam as a base for cutting the wood. Worked great! All the wood dust was trapped in the styrofoam very little was flying around. The circle: The finished circle with the sword: To be continued…
I friend of mine had his birthday several months ago so I told him I will build him any weird artifact he wanted as a present; so after some time he came up with an amazingly brilliant idea to build: The awesome Enchiridion from the double-awesome series Adventure Time. It has lots of different parts made of several materials that it’s a fantastic way to mix every possible skill; there’s drawing, sculpting, molding, woodwork, bookbinding, just fantastic. Also, this was a very simplistic 2d very cartoony design so there was also a lot of fun to be had interpreting all the elements as real life 3d objects. So here are some creepy versions I drew of the super cartoony designs from the cartoon. To be continued…
After many hurt fingers I decided to build a punching cradle and avoid any more unnecessary fingerly bloodshed. Something like this… I found several very classy and beautiful models but I wanted something as simple as possible so here is it is. Couple planks cut in half. Joined two of the halves with the those magical “L” thingys I like so much. I drew the shape of the joined half on the side panels to know where to drill holes. I actually drill very thin holes before putting the screws; it helps the screws grip the material and they go in perfectly strait. Add pre-screw holes in the joined halves too. PRO TIP! Use pop rivets to keep the thing in place while putting the screws. All done. Now it’s just a matter of placing the pages with a marker for the position of the holes… and punch the holes in just a few seconds And it doubles as a fabulous table for my your favorite drinks and condiments! WIN
I guess this is not very lovecraftian related but, but watever. Turns out my boss bought an X-Arcade a long time ago and has never actually used it so we decided to make an cabinet for it and put it in the office so productivity can reach an all time low. I used my diningroom table to more or less calculate the correct height. I tweeked the height with some books. I used my diningroom table to more or less calculate the correct height. I tweeked the height with some books. So here is the small scale model of the computer screen and X-Arcade. Side panels placed And the model is more ore less done. Till next time!
Me, piro-drawing a necronomincon cover on plywood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPwREp9dTU
Let me tell you another story of failure… so you learn from my fuckups… So… I need to make several books and I do not enjoy dyeing all that paper one by one, thus I tried inventing some SUPER clever way to do all the pages at once… So… mosquito net… Cut it into page size pieces… Made a page-moquito/net sandwich… Secured it with elastic bands… And then came the FAIL… I put the whole thing into the usal coffe bath I normally use but the water didn’t even got to all the pages.. so you can see the white parts… suuuucks… Also, the pages that did got correctly dyed were so soked that got destroyed by the water… doble FAIL I think that instead of the normal very low water bath i used this process might work if the WHOLE block was completly submeged in coffe. Who knows… maybe someone is willing to prepare a whole tub of coffe… Back to single page dyeing for now… P.D. If you have some awesome technique of mass paper coloring, please let me know!